Thursday, February 2, 2012

Generation Y

People born before 1946 were called The Silent Generation.

People born between 1946 and 1964 are called The Baby Boomers.

People born between 1965 and 1979 are called Generation X.

People born between 1980 and 2010 are called Generation Y.

Why do we call the last group Generation Y?

Y should I get a job?

Y should I leave home and find my own place?

Y should I get a car when I can borrow yours?

Y should I clean my room?

Y should I wash and iron my own clothes?

Y should I buy any food?

Or maybe even, Y should I pull up my pants?

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

Nailed that one AOA, and a home run! dammit...

Heroditus Huxley said...

Wow...I was born in '79, and am a productive member of society. My sister was born in '82, and...isn't. Granted, there were extenuating circumstances, but I lived through the same stuff.

Try: "Y try to recover from bad crap when being a victim is so much easier?"

Home on the Range said...

I was born at the end of the Boomer generation. Put myself through college working two jobs, gladly paid back what student loans I had to take out. Everything I own is paid for, it may not be much but there's no monthly payment for it.

I look at the neighbors 20 something kids living at home, even the ones with jobs, so they can drive fancier cars, more electronics and party more while Mom cooks and cleans up after them. It's pretty sad.

An Ordinary American said...

Brigid--Agree. I'm a boomer and left home after high school for the military. Never looked back.

It was rarely easy, and in fact, was always hard.

But what I have, what I've done. . . I have a lot of disgust for the "me-first" generation we're raising.

--AOA