Sunday, February 19, 2012

Flying the dragon.


I know a number of readers here have seen the world outside of the United States, and I think many will agree with my favorite sentiment:

It's not the people of other countries I necessarily have a problem with, it's the governments of other countries that I have a problem with.

United States government being at or near the top of the list.

I've also often said that if the time came to leave North America, my first choice would probably be Asia.

I have no problems with the Chinese people, mainland, Hong Kong or Taiwan. No problems with the Japanese, the Koreans, Thais, Cambodians, Laotians, Malaysians, Filipinos, Vietnamese.

At no time have I ever been treated other than graciously and with utmost respect and honor in their cultures.

The same cannot be said of experiences in Paris or Washington DC or Quebec.

Radical religions, extremist government ruin people. Of course, those institutions are led by extremist people.

Every crowd seems to have them.

But check out this video. It's breathtaking and exhilarating. The scenery is captivating and truly awesome. It will put a smile on your face.

Most of all, though, look at the Chinese people enjoying the experience. They're just like you and me. You can see the working class people, the smiles on their face for enjoying some time away from the house and the job. The students on the bridge, youthful innocence filled with passion and hope.

I'm an American. I love my country. I served it in uniform, and defended it from behind a badge. But it's the people, our spirit, our history--brief as it may be compared to most other countries--that I defend and not our government.

At the end of the day, we all have the same hopes and dreams.

Share this video. It's a good reminder that although language, looks and culture may separate us, our hearts are interchangeable.

Never forget that.

2 comments:

kx59 said...

I don't know that I can agree with the underlying connotation that the Chinese government is not extremist, but perhaps I'm reading too much into the post.
One thing I can agree on though, is that the folks in Paris are 14 carat assholes.
In the South of France, in Nice, the people were much more receptive to Americans.

An Ordinary American said...

kx--I agree that the Chinese gov't is extremist to the hilt. I mean, killing ALL unborn baby girls?

(Expletive deleted) savages and barbarians.

But the oddest thing is that the Chinese economic machine is more capitalistic than our own.

We opened a major office in Hong Kong back in '98, and I remember all the indoctrination and meetings we had with the PRC (commie) officials, then with the ROC (Taiwan--Democratically elected officials), and was amazed at how similar the approach was towards business.

I like the Chinese people. Detest their government, but Asian people in general have a sense of honor and culture that is all but extinct here in the U.S. anymore.

--AOA